[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Samuele Pedroni pedroni@inf.ethz.ch
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 01:59:22 +0200

Hi

[Skip Montanaro]

>     Jeremy> If we had a JVM implementation designed to support Python, there
>     Jeremy> would be no need to implement most of the opcodes.  We'd only
>     Jeremy> need getstatic and invokevirtual <0.2 wink>.  The typed opcodes
>     Jeremy> (int, float, etc.)  would never be used.
>
> Perhaps Armin Rego's Psyco stuff could make use of them if he chose the JVM
> as his "other VM".

Yes, but feeding the JVM with bytecodes costs more than feeding a real CPU
or a VM written to deal quickly with little chunks of code.

JVM dynamic loading has a verification phase, accept only full class
definitions and
then you enter the interpretation/hotspot collecting phase and then dynamic
compilation
stuff...

Samuele.