[Python-Dev] Revised decimal type PEP

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:01:06 -0700 (PDT)

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> In the IBM model that Aahz is implementing, decimal numbers are not
> necessarily exact, but (if I understand correctly) you can set a
> context flag that causes an exception to be raised when the result of
> an operation on two exact inputs is inexact.  This can happen when
> e.g. a multiplication result exceeds the number of significant digits
> specified in the context -- then truncation is applied like for binary
> floats.

Rounding, actually (unless the specified context (which is not the
default) request truncation), but yes.
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

I don't really mind a person having the last whine, but I do mind someone
else having the last self-righteous whine.