[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Guido van Rossum guido@zope.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:18:55 -0400

Obviously, just as the new design is aiming at Perl 6, it would be
aiming at Python 3.  Nothing's impossible these days, so I am keeping
an open mind.  I expect that in addition to the bytecode, the entire
runtime architecture would have to be shared though for this to make
sense, and I'm not sure how easy that would be, even if Perl is
willing to be flexible.  Most of Python's run-time semantics are very
carefully defined and shouldn't be changed in order to fit in the
common runtime.

I'm looking forward to Eric's comparison of the two run-time systems.
(Eric, be sure to use a copy of 2.2a1 or the descr-branch -- *don't*
use the CVS trunk.)