[Python-Dev] Advice in stat.py

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 07:10:45 -0400

[Tim]
> Worse, according to the Reference Manual,
>
>     The "from" form with "*" may only occur in a module scope.

[Guido]
> I don't know when that snuck in,

On Friday, 14 Aug 1992:  it's in rev 1.1 of ref6.tex, and was there in the
0.98 release.  This proved tedious to trace backwards, because you and Fred
went through an amazing variety of ways to mark up "*" <wink>.

> but it's not enforced.  If we're serious, we should at least add a
> warning!

I thought we had agreed to do this back when the nested-scopes warnings were
being added; guess not.

> I'll add a bug report.

aka-the-retroactive-todo-list-ly y'rs  - tim