[Python-Dev] Ready to merge descr-branch back into the trunk?

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 12:08:17 -0700

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Is it time to merge the descr-branch (from which 2.2a1 was built) back
> into the trunk?  In the fray over PEP 238 I haven't seen too much
> feedback on the alpha release, but there have been plenty of
> downloads.  Telling from the bug reports, a few people have clearly
> been kicking the tires quite a bit.

I'm not deeply concerned from a backwards compatibility standpoint but I
would like to see more documentation and more widespread understanding
of the feature before we say "yes, this is the right way." I wonder how
many people truly understand all of the changes.

When you added metaclasses you labelled the feature experimental so you
could change it once people got a sense of it. I propose you do the same
thing in this case. I could even imagine using the warnings framework to
tell people that they are playing with stuff that may change.

As smart as you are, you are only one person, with experience with a
certain set of problems. Wider understanding, experimentation and
discussion might help you to improve the design...but they may break
some of the features you have already added.
--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.