[Python-Dev] Splitting the PEP for adding a decimal type to Python

Jeff Epler jepler@inetnebr.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:59:16 -0500

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 12:35:34PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> But again this has nothing to do with decimal numbers: your proposal
> allows the mixing of decimal and binary numbers (as long as one of
> them uses an explicit base indicator) so you don't really need two
> parsers -- you need one tokenizer plus a way to specify the default
> numeric base for literals.

If this were possible, then could it be a per-module decision what "1/2"
produces, depending whether unadorned whole-number literals correspond
to ClassicInt or NewInt ?

That sounds miles better than writing "1//2" to me.

Jeff