[Python-Dev] shouldn't we be considering all pending numeric proposals together?

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:11:06 -0400

> > Not under the assumption that they will never use floating point.
>
> Verifying such an assumption will be just as hard as auditing the
> code itself, I'm afraid.

Not for the biggest cry-babies -- I've seen several claims from folks
who say that they never use floating point, and I believe them.

> > > unless float // float works like float / float does now.
> >
> > No, that would be a bad idea.  float//float should either raise an
> > exception or return a rounded-towards-minus-infinity result.
>
> Hmm, it would assure that your tool doesn't accidentally
> break floating point code.

A better idea then would be to make float//float raise an exception.