[Python-Dev] Spam flagging filter (mail.python.org black listed ?!)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:08:34 +0200

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     M> Perhaps we should start a small project for such a tool written
>     M> in Python (to bring the subject back on topic ;-) and place it
>     M> on the web somewhere ?!
>
> I think that's an excellent idea!
>
>     M> If we separate out the engine from the rest we could also have
>     M> different backends, e.g. one which hooks into .forward as
>     M> filter, a daemon style backend which does on-server flagging
>     M> based on imap, a Mailman filter backend which does the same for
>     M> mailing lists etc.
>
>     M> Would be cool to have python-list mark non-python spam using a
>     M> special header automagically ;-)
>
> We could go one better in MM2.1.  There's now a "topics filter"
> feature in the alpha codebase (sponsored by Control.com -- thanks
> guys!)  and I can easily see how it might be extended to something
> like:
>
> - The filter marks the message with a % confidence of being spam
>   (e.g. X-Spam: 75%)

I think we ought to consider a format which allows easy mail
filtering. Like Skip mentioned, mail filters are usually not
very smart about parsing the headers, e.g. Netscape only allows
you to do substring matching.

Ideal would be a format like:

A substring filter for e.g. "012" would then move all messages
with a spam level of >=20% to Trash.

> - Each Mailman recipient could specify the threshhold above which they
>   do not want to receive the message (e.g. don't sent me anything
>   that's spam with a more than 70% confidence level).  This only works
>   for regular delivery.

Cool (even though I think that client side filtering is more
flexible).

Could you send me the filter source code, so that I can look into
splitting out the engine for use by e.g. procmail ?!

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH