[Python-Dev] Re: [Q] patches in maintenace branch

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 07:22:59 -0700 (PDT)

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>Aahz:
>>
>> I think it's wonderful that that we've already had two
>> maintenance releases go so smoothly!
>
> It may look smooth to *you*...  Behind the scenes, 2.1.1 final was a
> bit of a last-minute mess. :-)

My "smooth" was referring less to the actual build process than to the
lack of wrangling over what went in, despite the large numbers of
patches.  If in time we get no complaints about the inclusion of any
patch and y'all didn't miss any critical patches, I'll consider this a
complete, absolute, and unqualified success.

I mean, when I wrote the PEP, you'll recall that I originally tried to
stipulate a separate mailing list because I was worried that the traffic
would overwhelm python-dev.  Hasn't been an issue at *all*, in the end.
Having been on the inside of major political fights over what should go
into a maintenance release (and seeing some of the feature fights here
on python-dev), I truly do find the smoothness of 2.0.1 and 2.1.1
absolutely amazing.

I think kudos go all around to everyone who participated, and most
especially to Moshe and Thomas for orchestrating them.

And now I'm off to OSCON.  I probably won't be back for a week.  Hope to
see many of you in person!
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

I don't really mind a person having the last whine, but I do mind someone
else having the last self-righteous whine.