[Python-Dev] mail.python.org black listed ?!

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:11:43 -0500

    mal> A look in my mail delivery log file showed that sendmail is rejecting
    mal> mails from mail.python.org (63.102.49.29) with the following message:

    amk> See http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0107.1/0929.html .

    amk> Short explanation: ORBS will, one eleventh of the time, report that
    amk> any IP address is an open relay.

More telling I think is that Ron Guilmette, the author of the note amk
referenced, felt that he couldn't recommend any of the other black list
"services".  The server that I run a few mailman lists on occasionally has
messages rejected by MAPS RBL.  Whenever I go there to see what's what, it
always tells me my server has never been on their black list.  I think the
whole black list exercise has been a net waste of time and certainly has
done little to stem the flow of email spam.

as-opposed-to-python-spam-ly y'rs,

Skip