[Python-Dev] 2.2 Unicode questions

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:22:40 +0200

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 01:22:00AM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> > [Andrew Kuchling]
> > > Doesn't anyone have *anything* nice to say about Unicode?
> >
> > Europeans do.
>
> Nonsense (or should I say, 'hypergeneralization' ? :) Most Europeans can
> deal with ISO8859-1 just fine...

... until you start supporting software for non-europeans. The various 8-bit
macintosh codesets are hell to deal with, especially because you can't really
test how things work if you speak a seven-bit-clean language with your
computer as well as your loved ones. I assume the same problems apply to the
windows codepage blabla.

At least unicode gives the whole world a common ground. Or let me rephrase
that as "... should give...".