[Python-Dev] Leading with XML-RPC

Simon Cozens simon@netthink.co.uk
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:21:28 -0400

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:23:41AM -0400, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> Note that, the last time this idea was brought up, the issue of
> version mismatches was brought up.  What if the platform has a newer
> version of Expat?  What if you have an extension module for a library
> that also links with Expat internally?

For what it's worth, when I (very recently) raised the issue on
perl5-porters, the concerns were:
    1) Expat isn't *necessarily* the best tool for the job.
    2) No support for linking as shared library (this has been fixed,
       though, apparently)
    3) Symbol conflicts between, eg, apache's expat and Perl's expat.
       Apparently this affects PHP and mod_python too.
    4) Worries about portability
    5) Version mismatches between Perl's expat and expat's expat

Simon