[Python-Dev] directive statement (PEP 244)

Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:48:21 +0200

> (Where did this subject come from???)

I meant to put it into CC:, not into Subject: ...

> So it's still unclear if we want a directive...

It seems to me that to reasonably use non-ASCII *characters* in
strings (as opposed to using mere byte sequences), we have to offer a
declaration-type statement. A comment should not be used since
comments should not change the outcome of a program, whereas this
thing may change the program result.

The question is whether a general-purpose syntax is needed. I think
the answer is yes: I'd also like to say "all strings are Unicode" on a
per-module basis, perhaps combined with providing an encoding. But
then, this might be a future import:

from __future__ import all_strings_are_unicode

Regards,
Martin