[Python-Dev] Python 2.1.1 and distutils

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:31:25 +0200

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 09:21:00PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> > Anyway, should I apply the fixes and up the version number ? Apply the fixes
> > but keep quiet about them ? Hand the fixes over to someone with distutils
> > clue ? Scream and shout ? (Always my favorite, that ;P)

> Why not simply include the latest stable distutils version in
> Python 2.1.1 and add the new patches/features to the next
> distutils release (which would then go into 2.1.2, etc.) ?

Two reasons:

1) Like I said, I have *no* clue about distutils :) What is the 'latest stable
distutils version' ? Where can I find it ? Who has an idea of what, exactly,
changed, and whether all changes are appropriate in a bugfix release (I can
be lenient in the case of distutils, but bugfix releases are supposed to
keep *even broken code* working, up to a point.

2) I'm not sure if the fixes I talked about are in the 'latest stable
distutils version', since one of them was checked in mere hours ago.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>