[Python-Dev] guido@digicool.com

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:05:37 -0400

(Where did this subject come from???)

> > Martin's hack falls short of doing the right thing in all cases: you
> > can't have the first statement of your program be "directive = ..."
> > or "directive(...)".
>
> If that is considered as a serious problem, I'll try to solve it with
> an additional lookahead token: If the next token is a name, then it is
> a directive.

Wait.

MAL seems to want two other changes: directive should be allowed
(required???) before the module docstring, and it should support the
syntax from his proto-PEP (directive key = value).

But MAL and PaulP don't seem to agree on the semantics of this
directive, and I haven't gotten a good answer why we can't do that
with a magic comment.

In the mean time, I've decided to enable the yield keyword with a
future statement.  In general I now prefer using future statements for
enabling future features over the directive statement.

So it's still unclear if we want a directive...