[Python-Dev] Leading with XML-RPC

Cayce Ullman c_ullman@yahoo.com
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:08:08 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1917799420-995260088=:79364

/F wrote:

>-0 on soap support in 2.2 (it's still a moving target; a new spec draft
>was released this weekend).  if we want something now, it should be
>cayce ullman's SOAP.py, not my soaplib.py.  but I don't think we need
>SOAP in the standard library for another year or two.

Agreed on it being too early for any existing SOAP library to be included in the standard library. SOAP.py for example is not very clean at the moment as it evolved (and does some things wrong) in an attempt to interop with most impls.  I do think that if xmlrpclib.py is included in the std lib (which IMHO is a very good idea), any future included SOAP lib should be similar in structure and use (ie more like soaplib.py than SOAP.py). Hopefully, bringing soaplib.py up to speed or cleaning up SOAP.py should be an increasingly easier task as the interop process continues to settle down.

I do think Python has an opportunity to become an excellent choice for doing "web services" or .NET type of work out of the box.  If these concepts do take off I would hope to see some included SOAP functionality sooner rather than later in the std lib.

Also, for the record SOAP.py has moved to http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net

Cayce

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
--0-1917799420-995260088=:79364

<P>/F wrote:</P>
<P>&gt;-0 on soap support in 2.2 (it's still a moving target; a new spec draft<BR>&gt;was released this weekend).&nbsp; if we want something now, it should be<BR>&gt;cayce ullman's SOAP.py, not my soaplib.py.&nbsp; but I don't think we need<BR>&gt;SOAP in the standard library for another year or two.</P>
<P>Agreed on it being too early for any existing SOAP library to be included in the standard library.&nbsp;SOAP.py for example is not very clean at the moment as it evolved (and does some things wrong) in an attempt to interop with most impls.&nbsp; I do think that if&nbsp;xmlrpclib.py&nbsp;is included in the std lib&nbsp;(which IMHO is a very good idea), any&nbsp;future&nbsp;included SOAP lib should be similar in structure and use (ie more like soaplib.py than SOAP.py).&nbsp;Hopefully, bringing soaplib.py up to speed or cleaning up SOAP.py should be an increasingly easier task as the interop process continues to settle down.</P>
<P>I do think Python has an opportunity to become an excellent choice for doing "web services" or .NET&nbsp;type of work out of the box.&nbsp; If these concepts do take off I would hope to see some included SOAP functionality sooner rather than later in the std lib.</P>
<P>Also, for the record SOAP.py has moved to <A href="http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net">http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net</A></P>
a year!<BR><a href="http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/?.refer=tagline">http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/</a>
--0-1917799420-995260088=:79364--