[Python-Dev] RE: Defining Unicode Literal Encodings

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:44:36 +0200

tim wrote:
> [Guido]
> > Hm, then the directive would syntactically have to *precede* the
> > docstring.  That currently doesn't work -- the docstring may only be
> > preceded by blank lines and comments.  Lots of tools for processing
> > docstrings already have this built into them.  Is it worth breaking
> > them so that editors can remain stupid?
>
> No.

that's why the "directive" statement shouldn't be used as
an encoding directive.

(and since I don't see any other use for it, that's also why
the "directive" statement doesn't belong in Python at all ;-)

</F>