[Python-Dev] one more thing for 2.2?

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:08:06 -0500

    Thomas> No, but it will help with bindings to languages that require
    Thomas> keywords. .NET comes to mind, again, as does Java. It would also
    Thomas> be very cool if we could rename pprint.pprint to pprint.print ;P

Or with Python bindings to various external packages we want to wrap.  They
sometimes have function, variable or attribute names that are keywords in
Python and must therefore be mangled in one fashion or another.  James
Henstridge has to add trailing underscores to a number of attribute names in
his PyGtk wrappers: "in_", "del_" and "raise_".

Another one that always grates on me is "class".  "class_" or "klass" both
look ugly.

The biggest drawback I see is that in some situations people will have to
enclose variable names in parens to sneak them by the parser.  That seems
inelegant to me.  I'm not sure I want to explain this to new users.

Skip