[Python-Dev] PEP 250 - site-packages on Windows: (Was: [Distutils] Package DB: strawman PEP)

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:51:05 +0200

From: "Moore, Paul" <Paul.Moore@atosorigin.com>
> > The bdist_wininst installer simply installs into prefix,
> > this is what the registry has under
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Python\PythonCore\2.1\InstallPath.
> >
> > Now what should it do?
>
> What does that key *mean*? If it is the directory into which packages should
> get installed, then bdist_wininst should keep doing what it does now, and
> the Python installer should be changed to put site-packages into that key.
>
> If, on the other hand, this key has a meaning elsewhere in Python, and
> changing it would cause a problem, then I would say that this is a bug in
> the Windows Installer, which should use a key of its own. In that case, my
> recommendation would be to have the Python 2.2 installer create a new key,
> and wininst use that if it exists, otherwise fall back to the current key.
> That would provide the correct behaviour in the new release, but retain
> backward compatibility with earlier versions of Python.
Good idea. But remember that there is still Pythonware's distribution,
which does neither create nor require registry entries,
also if you compile from source they are not available.

OTOH, bdist_wininst installers currently do not recognize these
Python installations, which is probably the next bug.

> > There are probably some issues here.
>
> Agreed. I apologise if I didn't publicise the PEP in the right places for
> these to get picked up earlier - I thought I had. I believe my suggestion
> above will do the right thing, but I am not an expert in the intricacies of
> Python's use of the registry, so I'd like someone more knowledgeable to
> comment, if possible.
It's my fault, I'm afraid. Didn't think enough about these things
earlier.

> Paul.

Thomas
BTW: We should narrow the TO: and CC: fields in this discussion.
I'm receiving every message threefold. What would be appropriate?