[Python-Dev] Re: Method resolution order

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:21:49 -0400

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Using the classic [depth-first, left-right] lookup rule, construct the
> > list of classes that would be searched, including duplicates.  Now for
> > each class that occurs in the list multiple times, remove all
> > occurrences except for the last.  The resulting list contains each
> > ancestor class exactly once
>
> Is this original or is it used by other languages as well?  My books on
> Dylan and CLOS are at home but I think they do something similar.
>
>   Neil

I didn't make it up!  I got it from the reference [1] in the PEP.  C+
seems to do something similar (with added conflict checking).

It would be good to mention that this is not a new invention.  If you
can confirm that Dylan and CLOS have this, I'll add that.