[Python-Dev] PEP 250 - site-packages on Windows: (Was: [Distutils] Package DB: strawman PEP)

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:02:42 -0400

> From: Pete Shinners [mailto:pete@shinners.org]
> > for the love of all things good, can we please make a recommendation
> > in our PEP that the windows installation location be something other
> > than "C:\PYTHON21"? something like "C:\PYTHON21\SITE-PACKAGES" would
> > be a big improvement. i thought i heard that macpython recently made
> > this "fix", why is the windows version lagging on this?

[Paul Moore]
> PEP 250 covers this. I have sent in the final PEP for approval, plus a
> patch, but the process appears to be stalled. I guess I need to nag again.
> The PEP process doesn't seem to cover non-core Python developers well (eg,
> people like me who don't have a way of integrating with the Sourceforge
> mechanisms...)

I just read that PEP over, and I agree with it.  I think it should be
implemented.  If anyone with sourceforge permission would like to
champion this PEP further (by implementing the modest change it
suggests so that it can be rolled out with Python 2.2a1 next week),
that would really help!