[Python-Dev] Leading with XML-RPC

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:10:08 -0400

David Ascher <DavidA@ActiveState.com>:
> Documentation is probably the bigger problem, though, as usual.

I'm willing to put some personal elbow grease into solving that problem.

> However, as much as I like XML-RPC and SOAP and WebDAV, I don't know
> that adding support for these protocols will have much impact on the
> folks that are being exposed to the .NET story.  SOAP, especially, works
> well with .NET, rather than competing with it.  I don't think anyone
> wants to setup an "XML-RPC vs. SOAP" war, that'd be pretty pointless.

Dave's theory (which I agree with) is that the open-source community as
a whole can get ahead of Microsoft in things like identity services --
*if* there is uniform support for XML-RPC or SOAP in our development tools.

He approached me because he thought I'd be aable to get something moving
in the Python world.  He'll be talking with other people about Perl.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable."
	-- John F. Kennedy