[Python-Dev] Leading with XML-RPC

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:56:32 -0400

Guido van Rossum <guido@digicool.com>:
> Fredrik Lundh's xmlrpclib.py looks ready for the Python standard
> library, if Fredrik agrees.  The license is right.

Eric Kidd agrees, but Fredrik has not checked in yet.

> But maybe the motivation is wrong.  We should decide to include (or
> not to include) xml-rpc based on a user need, not based on political
> motives.  There may be a user need; Fredrik, do you know how popular
> your xmlrpc module is?

There are good political reasons and bad political reasons.

I think helping promote an open and well-designed RPC standard is a
good political reason. And XML-RPC is very good work; I wouldn't be
pushing it if I hadn't evaluated it myself and liked it a lot.

One other thing that make Python support particularly appropriate is
that Zope objects are XML-RPC accessible (or so I'm told; I have not
tried this myself yet).

> Technical issues: should the server stubs also be included?  It might
> benefit from also including the sgmlop.c extension.

I would say yes to both.  The code is there and it's tested.  I'm willing
to merge in the documentation.

The danger (where there is any) from armed citizens, is only to the
*government*, not to *society*; and as long as they have nothing to
revenge in the government (which they cannot have while it is in their
own hands) there are many advantages in their being accustomed to the
use of arms, and no possible disadvantage.
        -- Joel Barlow, "Advice to the Privileged Orders", 1792-93