[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Include rangeobject.h,2.16,2.17

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 20:19:08 -0400

    TW> Well... hrm... Iterators, generators and the type/class
    TW> unification strike me as more than enough reason to call it
    TW> Python 3.0.

I think this is something to seriously consider.  Especially because I
suspect that the types/class stuff may be rather green at first, and
(as Guido implied) may not be able to be done in a backwards
compatible way.  Bumping the rev number to 3.0 also makes me a little
more comfortable with adding stuff like the yield keyword with no
future statement.

/If/ we do that, then we shouldn't necessarily abandon the 2.x series
immediately.  We can do things like work on performance improvements,
library enhancements, and bug fixes.  This strategy might also calm
the fears about Python-the-language moving too quickly.

-Barry