[Python-Dev] "Becoming a Python Developer"

Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:03:35 -0400

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:09:58AM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> You like hacking on language interpreters.  (XXX is that a bit
>> snarky? not sure I phrased that well...)

Whoops, that XXX is now redundant.  The original text had something
like "... and you want to do something more interesting than writing
the 187th Scheme interpreter", but then I took the Scheme reference
out.

>Explaining the distinction would be helpful, and you could add that
>for Java programmers, participating in Jython would be a logical step.

The thing is, I'm not sure how Jython is developed.  Is Finn Bock the
BDFL, do the developers vote, or what?  (Same question for .NET.)  If
some Jython development offered to contribute a description, I
certainly wouldn't turn it down.

>I'm sure there's more.  I'll make this into a PEP.

Should the Python style guide, currently at
/doc/essays/styleguide.html, also become a PEP?  It's often
referenced...

I'll make the other suggested changes, and refer to PEP 7; thanks!

Anyone have suggestions for other topics/issues that should be covered
in this document?

--amk