[Python-Dev] CVS

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 15:08:04 -0400

> But why not merge the trunk into your tree ? You can do that with
>
> cvs update -j HEAD
>
> inside your (sticky-tagged) working tree, IIRC. It doesn't change the
> repository either, just your working directory, so it's safe to try in a
> separate directory. Then, when you're satisfied it all works, you can commit
> the whole thing.

I believe that's what I tried last time, and it suddenly revived a
bunch of files that had been dead for years.  But you're right, I
should probably try this.

But in the light of multiple merges, it's important to tag the tree
three times: (1) tag the HEAD at the point where you want to do the
merge; (2) tag the branch at the point where you waht to merge into;
(3) after resolving conflicts and making the resulting checkins in the
branch, tag the branch again.  Well, maybe (2) is redundant.  But (1)
is essential to be able to do do another merge later.  And I think I
recall that (3) was good for something, too.  (Maybe if you want to
merge in the other direction.)

Sigh.  Not my day, it seems.