[Python-Dev] Support for "wide" Unicode characters

Neil Hodgson nhodgson@bigpond.net.au
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:42:11 +1000

Martin von Loewis:

> > The problem I have with this PEP is that it is a compile time option
> > which makes it hard to work with both 32 bit and 16 bit strings in
> > one program.
>
> Can you elaborate why you think this is a problem?

   A common role for Python is to act as glue between various modules. If
Paul produces some interesting code that depends on 32 bit strings and I
want to use that in conjunction with some Win32 specific or COM dependent
code that wants 16 bit strings then it may not be possible or may require
difficult workaronds.

> (*) Methinks that the primary difficulty still is translating all the
> documentation, and messages. Actually, keeping the translations
> up-to-date is even more challenging.

   Translation of documentation and strings can be performed by almost
anyone who writes both languages ("even managers") and can be budgeted by
working out the amount of text and applying a conversion rate. Code requires
careful thought and can lead to the typical buggy software schedule
blowouts.

   Neil