[Python-Dev] Support for "wide" Unicode characters

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Sun, 01 Jul 2001 15:32:52 -0400

> This needn't go into the PEP, I think, but I'd like you to say something
> about what you expect the end result of this PEP to look like under
> Windows, where "rebuild" isn't really a valid option for most Python
> users.  Are we simply committing to make two builds available?  If so,
> what happens the next time we run into a situation like this?

I imagine that we will pick a choice (I expect it'll be UCS2) and
make only that build available, until there are loud enough cries from
folks who have a reasonable excuse not to have a copy of VCC around.

Given that the rest of Windows uses 16-bit Unicode, I think we'll be
able to get away with this for quite a while.