[Python-Dev] Making mutable objects readonly

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:25:54 -0500

[Ping]
> Is a frozen list hashable?

[Guido]
> Yes -- that's what started this thread (using dicts as dict keys,
> actually).

Except this doesn't actually work unless list.freeze() recursively ensures
that all elements in the list are frozen too:

>>> hash((1, 2))
219750523
>>> hash((1, [2]))
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: unhashable type

That bothered me in Eric's original suggestion:  unless x.freeze() does a
traversal of all objects reachable from x, it doesn't actually make x safe
against modification (except at the very topmost level).  But doing such a
traversal isn't what *everyone* would want either (as with "const" in C, I
expect the primary benefit would be the chance to spend countless hours
worming around it in both directions <wink>).

[Skip]
> If you want immutable dicts or lists in order to use them as
> dictionary keys, just serialize them first:
>
>     survey_says = {"spam": 14, "eggs": 42}
>     sl = marshal.dumps(survey_says)
>     dict[sl] = "spam"

marshal.dumps(dict) isn't canonical, though.  That is, it may well be that
d1 == d2 but dumps(d1) != dumps(d2).  Even materializing dict.values(), then
sorting it, then marshaling *that* isn't enough; e.g., consider {1: 1} and
{1: 1L}.  The latter example applies to marshaling lists too.