[Python-Dev] Let's release 2.1a2 Thursday night

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:16:51 -0500

Things look good for a release of 2.1a2 this week; we're aiming for
Thursday night.  I won't be in town (speaking to the press at
LinuxWorld Expo in New York) but Jeremy will handle the release
process and the other PythonLabs folks will assist him.

Tomorrow Fred will check in his weak references after making some
changes (mostly making it more Spartan :-) that I suggested in a code
review.

After that, I think we're good for the second (and last!) alpha
release; and enough has changed (e.g. nested scopes, lots of setup.py
changes, flat Makefile) to warrant going ahead now.

Now is the time for those last-minute bugfixes that you're all so
famous for!

I propose a checkin freeze for non-PythonLabs folks Wednesday midnight
US west coast time, to give Jeremy c.s. enough time to build the
release and give it a good work-out.  (An internal freeze is up to
Jeremy to declare, but should probably take Tim's sleep cycle into
account.)

PS. I'll be out of reach from noon US east coast time tomorrow
(Wednesday), traveling to New York by train.  I probably won't check
my email while out there; I'll be back Friday night.