[Python-Dev] LINKCC defaults to CXX

Neil Schemenauer nas@arctrix.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:12:15 -0800

Dear lord why?  So people can develop extensions using C++?  Its
not worth the pain inflicted on everyone else.  Let them
recompile with LINKCC=CXX.

Linking with CXX opens a huge can of stinky worms.  First of all,
just because configure found a value for CXX doesn't mean it
works.  Even if it does that doesn't mean that using it is a good
idea.  Linking with CXX will bring in the C++ runtime.  There are
a large number of platforms where the C++ ABI has not been
standarized; for example, anything that used g++.

Can we please leave LINKCC default to CXX?  Its easy enough for
the crazies to override if they like.  I'll even create a
configure option for them.

  Neil