[Python-Dev] I think my set module is ready for prime time; comments?

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:29:36 -0700

> All very well, but are sets really that essential to every
> day Python programming ?

Not everyday, but as I said, the standard library has zlib, expat, tkinter,
colorsys, and a whole lot of other stuff that is undoubtedly less useful than
a set class.

> If we include sets then we ought to
> also include graphs, tries, btrees

I see all of these as far less commonly useful than sets (at least in
situations where implementations using existing data structures won't suffice).

I run into needs for sets all the time.  I don't have as much trouble with
your other examples, though I've always considered tries as a possible
performance boost in XPath.  Oddly enough another data structure I often wish
I had is a splay tree, and I hope to wrap my old C++ splay tree implementation
for Python one of these days.

> and all those other goodies
> we have in computer science. All of these types are available
> out there, but I believe the audience who really cares for these
> types is also capable of downloading the extensions and installing
> them.
>
> It would be nice if all of these extension could go into a SUMO
> edition of Python though... together with your set module.

Considering "batteries included", it's worth considering these very important
"batteries".