[Python-Dev] 'make distclean' broken.

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:55:35 +0100

'make distclean' seems broken, at least on non-GNU make's:

[snip]
clobbering subdirectory Modules
rm -f *.o python core *~ [@,#]* *.old *.orig *.rej
rm -f add2lib hassignal
rm -f *.a tags TAGS config.c Makefile.pre
rm -f *.so *.sl so_locations
make -f ./Makefile.in  SUBDIRS="Include Lib Misc Demo" clobber
"./Makefile.in", line 134: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
rm -f config.status config.log config.cache config.h Makefile
rm -f buildno platform
rm -f Modules/Makefile
[snip]

(This is using FreeBSD's 'make'.)

Looking at line 134, I'm not sure why it works with GNU make other than that
it avoids complaining about syntax errors it doesn't run into (which could
be both bad and good :) or that it avoids complaining about obvious GNU
autoconf tricks. But I don't know enough about make to say for sure, nor to
fix the above problem.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>