[Python-Dev] RE: test_sax failing (Windows)

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:26:15 +0100 (MET)

> Running it from a command line instead produces the same output up to but
> not including the traceback, and Python crashes with a memory fault then.
> Attaching to the process with a debugger at that point shows it trying to do
> _Py_Dealloc on an op whose op->op_type member is NULL.
[...]
> Bet that's as helpful to you as it was to me <wink>.

Well, it was atleast motivating enough to try it out on my Whistler
installation. Purify would probably find this rather quickly; the code
writes into the 257th element of a 256-elements array. I've committed
a fix.

Depending on the exact organization of globals, this could have easily
gone unnoticed. MSVC packs variables more than gcc does, so the write
would overwrite one byte in ErrorObject, which would then not point to
a PyObject anymore.

Thanks for your patience,
Martin