[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib/test test_dumbdbm.py,NONE,1.1

Neil Schemenauer nas@arctrix.com
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:03:36 -0800

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 04:23:58PM -0500, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Guido van Rossum writes:
>  > tempfile.mktemp() in that module, right?  Or does the /tmp filesystem
>  > on Linux (which AFAIK is a RAM disk implemented in virtual memory so
>  > it uses swap space when it runs out of RAM) not support locking?
>
>   I thought it was Solaris that used available+virtual memory for
> /tmp; that was what we ran into at CNRI.  (Which doesn't preclude
> Linux from doing the same, I just don't recall that we've encountered
> that.)

I don't know of any Linux system that uses a RAM based /tmp.  The
Linux implemention of ext2 is so fast it doesn't make any sense.
If you have enough memory all the data is stored in the buffer,
page, and inode caches anyhow.

  Neil