[Python-Dev] SSL detection problem

Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:50:28 -0500

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 11:39:30AM +0100, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>The problem is that these header files are in /usr/include/openssl,
>which is not in the standard include search path.

I have an improved version of setup.py (not checked in yet) that tries
to do better, checking for both header and library files.  One point:
the OpenSSL docs imply that the headers should be loaded as
<openssl/rsa.h>, not as <rsa.h>; the header files themselves use the
openssl/*.h form, which means you'd need two -I directives..  I'll
patch the socket module accordingly.

>The not-so-obvious question: How can one work-around such a problem
>with the new setup scheme? In the old scheme, I could have chosen to
>either provide the right -I option in Modules/Setup, to disable SSL
>support, or to disable the _socket module altogether. How can I
>achieve either configuration with the new scheme?

I still need to implement command-line options to specify such
overrides, but that couldn't possibly get done in time for alpha1.  I
was thinking of something like --<modulename>-libs="foo bar",
--<modulename>-includes="/usr/include/blah/", and so forth.
Suggestions for a better interface welcomed...

--amk