[Python-Dev] Standard install locations for Python ?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:56:58 +0100

I'm currently busy building new version of my mx packages. While
trying to convert all of them to distutils I found that there
seems to be no standard for installing documentation or other
data files of Python extensions. I also noted, that for Windows
the standard extension installation defaults to \Python instead
of some \Python\Site-Packages. So the general question is:

Where should Python extensions install themselves and their docs ?

(On Linux the typical place for docs is /usr/doc/packages,
for Python code it is /usr/local/lib/pythonX.X/site-packages,
BTW)

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg