[Python-Dev] Strings: '\012' -> '\n'

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:33:42 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > > special whitespace characters, '\n', '\r', and '\t', to appear in
> > > their natural form rather than as octal escapes when strings are
> > > printed and repr()ed.
> >
> > -1 on doing that when they're printed (although I probably misunderstand
> > what you mean there).
>
> Ping was using imprecise language here -- he meant repr() and "printed
> at the command line prompt."

Yes, i referred to "when strings are printed and repr()ed" as two cases
because both string_print() and string_repr() have to be changed.

(Side question: when are *_print() and *_repr() ever different, and why?)

> Originally, using \x for these was impractical (at least) because of
> the stupid gobble-up-everything-that-looks-like-a-hex-digit semantics
> of the \x escape.  Now we've fixed this, I agree.

Oh, now i understand.  Good point.  I'll update the patch to do hex.

0xdeadbeef-ly yours,

-- ?!ng