[Python-Dev] The more I think about __all__ ...

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 00:31:02 -0500

> ... the more I think I should just yank out all those definitions.  I've
> already been bitten by an incomplete __all__ list.  I think the only people
> who can realistically create them are the authors of the modules.  In
> addition, maintaining them is going to be as difficult as keeping any other
> piece of documentation up-to-date.
>
> Any other thoughts?  BDFL - would you care to pronounce?

I've always been lukewarm about the desire to add __all__ to every
module under the sun.

But i'm also lukewarm about ripping it all out now that it's done.

So, no pronouncement from me unless I get more feedback on how harmful
it's been so far.  Sorry...