[Python-Dev] Those import related syntax errors again...

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:21:33 +0100

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>
> > [/F]
> > > Is it time to shut down python-dev?  (yes, I'm serious)
> >
> > I can't imagine that it would be possible to have such a vigorous and
> > focused debate about Python development in the absence of Python-Dev.
>
> If a debate doesn't lead anywhere, it's just a waste of time.
>
> Code monkey contributions can be handled via sourceforge,
> and general whining works just as well on comp.lang.python.

Na, Fredrik, we wouldn't want to lose our nice little chat
room -- it's way too much fun around here :-)

> :::
>
> Donning my devil's advocate suite, here are some recent observations:
>
> - Important decisions are made on internal PythonLabs meetings
>   (unit testing, the scope issue, etc), not by an organized python-
>   dev process.  Does anyone care about -1 and +1's anymore?

Well, being one of the first opponents of nested scopes (nobody
else seemed to care back then...) and seeing how many of those
other obscure PEPs made their way into the core, I have similar
feelings. Still, I see the voting system as being a democratic
method of reaching consensus: if there only one -1 and half a
dozen +1s then I am overruled.

> - The PEP process isn't working ("I updated the PEP and checked
>   in the code", "but *that* PEP doesn't apply to *me*", etc).

Aren't PEPs meant to store information gathered in ongoing
discussions rather than being an official statement of consent ?

> - Impressive hacks are more important than concerns from people
>   who make their living selling Python technology (rather than a
>   specific application).  Codewise, nested scopes are amazing.
>   From a marketing perspective, it's a disaster.

Agreed and I have never understood why getting lambdas to
work without keyword hacks is motivation enough to break
code in all kinds of places.

The nested scopes thingie started
out as simple idea, but has in time grown so many special
cases that I think the idea has already proven all by itself
that it is the wrong approach to the problem (if there ever
was a problem -- lambdas are certainly not newbie style gadgets).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg