[Python-Dev] Those import related syntax errors again...

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:56:40 -0500 (EST)

  TW> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:29:36PM -0500, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
  >> Let's not waffle.  If nested scopes are worth doing, they're
  >> worth breaking code.

  TW> I'm sorry, but that's bull -- I mean, I disagree
  TW> completely. Nested scopes *are* a nice feature, but if we can't
  TW> do them without breaking code in weird ways, we shouldn't, or at
  TW> least *not yet*. I am still uneasy by the restrictions seemingly
  TW> created just to facilitate the implementation issues of nested
  TW> scopes, but I could live with them if they had been generating
  TW> warnings at least one release, preferably more.

A note of clarification seems important here:  The restrictions are
not being introduced to simplify the implementation.  They're being
introduced because there is no sensible meaning for code that uses
import * and nested scopes with free variables.  There are two
possible meanings, each plausible and neither satisfying.

Jeremy