[Python-Dev] Those import related syntax errors again...

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:44:28 +1100

>   MH> As of the last 24 hours, it sits in the Mozilla CVS tree -
>   MH> extensions/python/xpcom :)
>
> Don't know where to find that :-)

I could tell you if you like :)

>   >> but have you considered 'exec' as well as 'from foo import *' ?
>
>   MH> exec appears exactly once, in a function in the "client"
>   MH> sub-package.
>
> Does the function that contains the exec also contain another function
> or lambda?  If it does and the contained function has references to
> non-local variables, the compiler will complain.

It appears this is the problem.  The fact that only "__init__.py" was listed
threw me - I have a few of them :)

*sigh* - this is a real shame.  IMO, we can't continue to break existing
code, even if it is good for me!  People are going to get mighty annoyed - I
am.  And if people on python-dev struggle with some of the new errors, the
poor normal users are going to feel even more alienated.

Mark.