[Python-Dev] PEP announcements, and summaries

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 09 Feb 2001 20:46:01 +0100

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

> Andrew Kuchling writes:
>  > * Work on the Batteries Included proposals & required infrastructure
>
>   I'd certainly like to see some machinery that allows us to
> incorporate arbitrary distutils-based packages in Python source and
> binary distributions and have them built, tested, and installed
> alongside the interpreter core.
>   I think this would be the right approach to deal with many
> components, including the XML and curses components.

Good idea... but then I've made the experience that different
tools need different distutils command interfaces, e.g. my
mx tools will use customized commands which provide extra
functionality (e.g. some auto-configuration code) which is
not present in the standard distutils distro.

As a result we will have a common interface point (setup.py),
but not necessarily the same commands and/or options.

Still, this situation is already *much* better than having
different install mechanisms altogether.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg