[Python-Dev] PEPS, version control, release intervals

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:21:55 -0700

> Availability of Linux binaries is certainly an issue. On xml-sig, one
> Linux distributor (I forgot whether SuSE or Redhat) mentioned that
> they won't include 2.0 in their current major release series (7.x for
> both).

'Twas Red Hat.  However, others claim to have spotted Python 2.0 in Rawhide
and supposedly both versions might be included until 8.0.

> In addition, many packages are still not available for 2.0. Zope is
> only one of them; gtk, Qt, etc packages are still struggling with
> Unicode support. omniORBpy has #include <python15/Python.h> in their
> sources,

I hadn't noticed this.  OmniORBpy compiles and runs just fine for me using
Python 2.0 and 2.1a2, except that it throws BAD_PARAM when passed Unicode
objects in place of strings.