[Python-Dev] PEP announcements, and summaries

Moshe Zadka moshez@zadka.site.co.il
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 04:04:05 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001, Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin@mems-exchange.org> wrote:

> One thing about the reaction to the 2.1 alphas is that many people
> seem *surprised* by some of the changes, even though PEPs have been
> written, discussed, and mentioned in python-dev summaries.  Maybe the
> PEPs and their status need to be given higher visibility; I'd suggest
> sending a brief note of status changes (new draft PEPs, acceptance,
> rejection) to comp.lang.python.announce.

I'm +1 on that. c.l.p.a isn't really a high-traffic group, and this
would add negligible traffic in any case. Probably more important
then stuff I approve daily.

> Also, I'm wondering if it's worth continuing the python-dev summaries,
> because, while they get a bunch of hits on news sites such as Linux
> Today and may be good PR, I'm not sure that they actually help Python
> development.  They're supposed to let people offer timely comments on
> python-dev discussions while it's still early enough to do some good,
> but that doesn't seem to happen; I don't see python-dev postings that
> began with something like "The last summary mentioned you were talking
> about X. I use X a lot, and here's what I think: ...".  Is anything
> much lost if the summaries cease?

One note: if you're asking for lack of time, I can help: I'm doing
the Python-URL! summaries for a few weeks now, and I've gotten
some practice. FWIW, I think they are excellent. Maybe crosspost to
c.l.py too, so it can get discussed on the group more easily?
--
Moshe Zadka <sig@zadka.site.co.il>
This is a signature anti-virus.