[Python-Dev] re: Sets BOF / for in dict

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:55:51 -0500

> Greg Wilson wrote:
> >
> > I've spoken with Barbara Fuller (IPC9 org.); the two openings for a
> > BOF on sets are breakfast or lunch on Wednesday the 7th.  I'd prefer
> > breakfast (less chance of me missing my flight :-); is there anyone
> > who's interested in attending who *can't* make that time, but *could*
> > make lunch?

[MAL]
> Depends on the time frame of "breakfast" ;-)

Does this mean you'll be at the conference?  That would be excellent!

> Two things:
>
> 1. the proposed syntax key:value does away with the
>    easy to parse Python block statement syntax
>
> 2. why can't we use the old 'for x,y,z in something:' syntax
>    and instead add iterators to the objects in question ?
>
>    for key, value in object.iterator():
>
>    this doesn't only look better, it also allows having different
>    iterators for different tasks (e.g. to iterate over values, key,
>    items, row in a matrix, etc.)

This should become the PEP.  I propose that we try to keep this
discussion off python-dev, and that the PEP author(s?) set up a
separate discussion list (e.g. at egroups) to keep the PEP feedback
coming.  I promise I'll subscribe to such a list.