[Python-Dev] Case sensitive import

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 15:15:31 -0500

[Barry A. Warsaw]
> And thank goodness for Un*x, where I get to ignore all the 69
> different varieties of The One True Operating System -- all Windows
> OSes are created equal, right? :)

Yes, and every one of them perfect, albeit each in its own unique way
<wink>.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but, in the end, even you would have
rather done the Win64 port from scratch than try to close the HPUX bugs
still open.  Heh heh.

> Even a Un*x dweeb like myself would agree, if you have to change one
> of them, change the executable.  I see no reason why on Un*x the build
> procedure couldn't drop a symlink from python.exe to python for
> backwards compatibility and convenience.

Of course I wasn't serious about that.  To judge from a decade of
Unix-newbie postings to c.l.py, we should rename the executable there to
phyton.  That's what they think the language is named anyway.

always-eager-to-aid-my-unixoid-brethren-ly y'rs  - tim