[Python-Dev] Case sensitive import

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 10:50:33 -0500

    TP> Don't thank me, thank Bill Gates for creating a wonderful
    TP> operating system where I get to ignore *all* the
    TP> 57-varieties-of-Unix build headaches.

And thank goodness for Un*x, where I get to ignore all the 69
different varieties of The One True Operating System -- all Windows
OSes are created equal, right? :)

    TP> BTW, I didn't grok the CVS argument.  You don't change the
    TP> name of the directory, you change the name of the executable.
    TP> And the obvious name is obvious to me: python.exe <wink>.

Even a Un*x dweeb like myself would agree, if you have to change one
of them, change the executable.  I see no reason why on Un*x the build
procedure couldn't drop a symlink from python.exe to python for
backwards compatibility and convenience.

-Barry