[Python-Dev] Benchmarking "fun" (was Re: Python 2.1 slower than 2.0)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 17:39:25 -0500 (EST)

  MAL> Tim Peters wrote:
  >>
  >> [Michael Hudson]
  >> > ...  Can anyone try this on Windows?  Seeing as windows malloc
  >> > reputedly sucks, maybe the differences would be bigger.
  >>
  >> No time now (pymalloc is a non-starter for 2.1).  Was tried in
  >> the past on Windows.  Helped significantly.  Unclear how much was
  >> simply due to exploiting the global interpreter lock, though.
  >> "Windows" is also a multiheaded beast (e.g., NT has very
  >> different memory performance characteristics than 95).

  MAL> We're still in alpha, no ?

The last planned alpha is going to be released tonight or early
tomorrow. I'm reluctant to add a large patch that I'm unfamiliar with
in the last 24 hours before the release.

  MAL> Or do we have a 2.1 feature freeze already ?

We aren't adding any major new features that haven't been PEPed.  I'd
like to see a PEP on this subject.

Jeremy