[Python-Dev] memory leaks in 2.2

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 01:58:38 -0500

Tim Peters writes:
 > Which is bad news:  it means that test_binop and test_parser had leaks for
 > reasons independent of each other, and of all the others on the list:  we're
 > not making swift progress on these.  You only looked at test_parser because
 > Guido assigned it to you.  I only looked at test_binop because I was
 > coughing too hard to get any difficult work done <wink>.

  Aside from these specific memory-leak reports, we've generally
fallen down on bug triage.  I'm not sure what we can do about this in
the short term, but I really think we're not doing as good a job at
this as we should be.
  I wonder if we could take a lesson from the Mozilla community and
organize Bug Days (group hack days where the goal is to resolve bugs)
or have a "BugAThon" where we call for smaller/simpler test cases that
exercise reported bugs.  I suspect a page about how to narrow down a
bug to a smaller test case would be very helpful, especially if it
also discusses how to use the various available tools for things like
pinpointing leaks, etc.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>